Friday, November 27, 2009

JP is not a dictator

Lok Satta party president Dr. Jayaprakash Narayan took total responsibility for GHMC election results and failed campaign plans. He called all executive members and contestants and told that he would be outside so that they could speak freely for what went wrong. However all party members voiced that they would talk freely about what went wrong in campaign before him.

I campaigned for Lok Satta party during general elections 2009. Those days reminded me my college days in several ways. First, it was full of friend ship, selflessness and energy from all volunteers around me. Each and every volunteer used to give the best what they could give. Second, we had lot of hopes and also uncertainty about the future just like we had in final year of college. However there was one difference between me and most of the volunteers.

Most people adore JP. Some treat him like Indian Obama. Some treat him like Modern Gandhi. Some simply treat him as their last hope. I was new to party. Some people want to shake hands with him at least once and some people want to take a picture with him. I remember some youth come to him and donate some money. I used to engage them while they were waiting for him. To my surprise, few of them confided in me that they were not voting for Lok satta because of their caste (Young kids rarely hide something) and their anti vote policy this time but would donate some money and also really wished Lok Satta succeed (kind of irony)!

When a journalist asked a bunch of us about what made us volunteer for Lok Satta, all but me told JP motivated them. I told that I liked principles of the party. For me, JP could stay or go or manifesto can change in future, but two fundamentals of the party (no dynasty based politics and decentralization) are what brought me to Lok Satta which keep party alive and what nation needs. I co-ordinated several Lok Satta events. I campaigned not only in Hyderabad but also in many places in the state. Total amount of time I talked to him was less than 15 minutes and that was spread over four or five incidents. My respect towards him grew many folds throughout the campaign. I was watching him all along and he also noticed me and appreciated the help I was doing. I was even worried about his health and safety but I never worshiped him. My respect increased little bit more today. He was never hungry after power. He is hungry for a better nation.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for writing the blog post. It will take time but people will see the truth.

    ReplyDelete